Sunday, March 14, 2010

a new grief process

Adam and I were at dinner the other night and he asked me a question about my dad.  I'm not even exactly sure what it was, but we started talking about the last few days with my dad in the hospital.  Adam wondered if my dad could hear us as we spoke words of love over him and said our goodbyes.  And I mentioned that I've heard they can still hear you, it's just that they can't say anything back.  And Adam said, "I've only been married 6 months to you and I can't imagine being in that position and not being able to say 'I love you' back.  Not even for my benefit, but for yours...  so you can hear it.  It must have been hard for your mom who was married to him for over 30 years."

I'm grieving for my dad differently in the past couple of days.  From a wife's perspective, it definitely adds a whole new array of emotions.  Makes me feel deeper for my mom.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder about how death would affect Sabrina and I. We know that the natural or "average" course of life is for kids to bury their parents, and not for parents to bury their kids.

    However, what does that look like for spouses? How does that work out in God's economy? I've heard some people say that a certain parent or grandparent would have better handled the death of their spouse.

    Does God even factor how "well" one spouse can handle the loss over the other? I think I would be strong, but just an extended thought of Sabrina passing makes me panic and want to throw up.

    I'm sorry about your dad passing and your mom's loss. I pray that you and Adam live to see the return of Christ together.
    Will =)

    ReplyDelete