Tuesday, March 2, 2010

love languages

Besides dealing with insecurities, one of the most evident things in my life lately has been my new marriage (obviously)!  So... story time!  Get comfy :)
Adam and I and I got into a fight the other night about...  cleaning the house.  I can look back on it now and laugh at myself that the subject of cleaning the house even had the room to escalate our emotions the way it did, but in that moment both of us were stubborn about our cause.  Without getting into too much detail, it ended with both of us giving each other silent treatment and cleaning at 12:30 AM.  Picture this...

Me in the kitchen scrubbing the hell out of the George Foreman grill and Adam in the bathroom scrubbing the hell out of the bathtub.  Neither of us saying a word to each other when the other walks by to grab more cleaning supplies.

Needless to say, we worked it out.  All is good.  It was in the sweet, tender moments of making up where he's holding me in his arms that I was reminded of love languages.  (If you've not read the 5 Love Languages, I highly encourage it)  We were continuing the conversation with much quieter voices and sweeter spirits when Adam said, "I just want to hear you recognize when I clean the house."  And I responded, "I don't need to hear it from you whenever I make dinner, clean the house, do laundry, etc."  And he said, "Yes, but words of encouragement are my love language.  I NEED to hear it."

It's funny to me how selfish I can get in the most un-obvious of ways... through loving my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment